The Glass Castle by Jannette Walls
Even though I am not yet in the
ending of my book I can see the main character, Jennette, changing. She is
changing how she thinks of the world, how she see’s her family, how she see’s
herself, and also what her interests are.
In the beginning of the book she
was a toddler, mature for her age. She saw her world like a fun game with her
family her closet friends and as any young kid she was interested in fire. Then
as she turned eight she started to see the major problems, and as she grew
older she would see more. She liked exploring, the dessert, and shooting her
dads gun. Then when she turns thirteen she starts to take charge. She thinks
that her teeth are crooked so she makes herself braces. She starts finding
faults in her dad who she believed in most. She starts getting interested in
boys.
Even though some one could argue that this is just what every child goes through growing up; I would say that not many children have the same life as Jannette so for every kid, except for a few, this would be mostly different. The other thing I think would be different would be he ages at which each event occurs. Jannette seems mature for her age. I wasn’t translating my 4th grade homework into binary computer code. I think she experience everything in her “mostly isolated from society” life faster so that when she is in a city or school she seams older in comparison.
This makes me think that it isn’t the number of years old that defines your maturity; it’s the intensity level of life that you have experienced
Very nice post Oliver! She doesn't seem to have the same kind of development as other kids. I also agree with the part that says that "it isn't the number of years old that defines your maturity; it's the intensity level of life that you've experienced". She started to shoot when she was 8 which isn't really that normal. Although,some parts of her development seem fine. Like when she's 13 she gets interested in boys. Her life was more intense then other people her age. She would be tougher then other people in a city or school like you said. Good job Oliver!
ReplyDelete