Tuesday, October 9, 2012

fighting frustration and life


Welch, West Virginia, is known to the Walls family as the “fightingist” town they have ever stayed in. in “the Glass Castle” by Janette Walls, Janette who is 10 in her book, is now staying in a little mining town in West Virginia. No one is all that content with his or her life and everyone is angry, so everyone fights but why

            My first thought was that it was just because they were in a small town and that because I live in the city not everyone fights. But then I realized that people get into fights in the city all the time. I thought that the other reason they might fight is because they are poor.

            In all the towns they have lived in they got into fights in most of them. Usually they would be with poor people. The Walls would live in the poor parts of towns and get into fights with poor people.

            If the dad got made he would take it out on the wife. The wife would take it out on the kids and the kids would take it out on other kids. Everyone would take it out on someone they thought they could beat up on.

            I think this is because when something or someone who they couldn’t beat up, beats them up, they would beat up something or someone that they could beat up on that wouldn’t be able to beat them back. I think this happens because of their frustration with life and the fact that they feel small but want to feel more improtant.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book and I also feel like when one feels small or unnoticed in the world, they feel the urge to have to do something to make themselves be noticed--or in this case maybe make themselves feel less weak.

    You mention the fact that the reason they fight is because they are poor and they fight with poor people....why do you think this happens??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that they fight because they are poor indrectly. Because they are poor, they have problems. Because they have problems, they get angry. Because they get angry they take it out on someone and that someone will usually fight back.

      i agree when you said "when one feels small or unnoticed in the world, they feel the urge to have to do something to make themselves be noticed--or in this case maybe make themselves feel less weak. "

      I think this is what dives most characters to make big choices.

      Delete