The book the Lorax by Dr. Seuss was put on a list of banned books when it
came out in the early 70’s. This was because the book supposedly anti business
and anti capitalist and because this was during the red scare, anti-capitalist
was pro-communist. Now I think this is against the constitutional right to
freedom of speech. I think all censorship of a product of any kind whether it
is TV, news, music, or book of any kind is against the 1st amendment
if another group that did not produce this item censors it.
In the Lorax they’re two big messages that you could take out of it.
One leads to the belief that Dr Seuss is communist and the other leads you to
the belief that Dr. Seuss cares about the environment and want to write a book
about caring for nature.
The first belief that Dr Seuss is
communist and anti-business and is conspiring to make all the children who read
the book anti-business and make the new generation communist and have them
rebel against the U.S. I feel like the only reason the group that was in charge
of censorship reacted the way they did was because the U.S. still had troops in
Vietnam and the Cold War was still in
full swing. I do
still believe that although they acted out of fright, they still acted
un-constitutionally
The second belief is that Dr Seuss
cares about the environment and nature and that he wants to teach the children
of the new generation that not caring for the environment will result in our
world becoming a barren waste land. The reason I think this is his intention
for the child readers is that I didn’t notice that it might be anti-business
and pro-communist until I had been told the time period the book was written in
and that the book was being considered as a book promoting traitorous behavior
and also why it was being considered. I am 13 and probably wouldn’t have
noticed that had nobody told me. This makes me think that if the book was
written to be anti-business, it was written for adults who will notice and
under stand that it was written as an anti-business piece. But if it was
written for kids then it was written for the purpose of learning to take care of the environment.
No comments:
Post a Comment